TIMESCALE – if you have a short timescale for your home makeover, are your plans realistic?
• Consider all the trades involved and how they impact each other. Allow them the time and space to work efficiently, don’t book them all to work in the same room on one day.
• Be realistic with your own time
If the home makeover is for selling purposes…
• The timescale is usually very short – the faster the property is back on the market, the better
• Try to prepare before the property goes on the market, rather than after, because you’re not showing the full impact in the photographs
• Consider the availability of trades, supplies and furnishings. Can you get hold of everything you need in time? It’s helpful to use a spreadsheet when planning a full home makeover, as savings can often be made by bulk-ordering, or having several items delivered together, or having one tradesman work for a full day on numerous small tasks rather than returning several times at more cost.
Here are some examples of timescale issues we have dealt with: