I was recently invited to Grand Designs Live in Birmingham, to talk about a home makeover and how to keep costs down, whether you’re selling your home or want to enjoy living in it.
Here’s a summary of what you need to consider carefully when you’re planning a home makeover, in order to keep the costs down as much as possible. (See other blog entries in the category “Makeover -tips” for more details of items on the list below:)
• Budget – keep tight control on the budget for any home makeover
• Existing Colours – make them work together rather than completely changing the scheme
• Room Use – is the layout of the house working for you?
• Existing Style – a complete style change can be expensive
• Accessories – use them to pull the scheme together
• Lifestyle – make the house work for you
• Increase Value – check the impact on the value of the house before you make major changes
• Skills – what are you really capable of doing well, and what do you need help with?
• Timescale – plan ahead carefully and ensure no clashes with trades
• Identify Trends – find the right balance between updating and making very fashionable / trendy
• Clutter – remove excess before starting any project so you can allow for what’s being kept
And just by pure co-incidence(!), if you take the first letter of all the above, you’ll end up with the most important thing to remember when planning a home makeover:
Budget Existing Colours
Room Use Existing Style Accessories Lifestyle Increase Value Skills Timescale Identify Trends Clutter
Call me for any help with your project, whether you just need some ideas, or whether you want us to take over the project for you… 07932 694904